Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lesson 38 - Geometry and Math

Today she was totally against the idea of having a lesson. So we decided to discuss our goals instead. What do you want to learn to do? She drew a snowmanlike figure on the paper and told me she'd like to be able to draw the same thing with Turtle Roy. 

Then we discussed geometry. How many degrees in a circle? Agreed on 360 and that it's a big number. Practised writing it. Then discussed the priciple of drawing a circle with a computer: go forward just a notch, then turn left a notch. Repeat until done.

To my surprise she wanted her snowman to be made of hexagons instead. How to do that? What are the angles of the vertices? Back to basic arithmetics then. What if you had 4 wieners and had to split them for 2 people. She solved that just fine. Then I wrote down

    4/2

And explained that when you divide 4 by 2, you write it down like this and the computer will be able to solve the problem for you. So, if you want to know the angles in a hexagon, you're gonna have to split the full circle (360) into 6 equivalent parts. We practiced writing

    4/2
    10/3
    360/6

On the paper. Then she wanted to know the answer and "asked the computer". She was quite sure though that a decagon does not exist. I told here that anygon is in fact reality, i.e. you can draw a polygon with an arbitrary number of equivalent vertices. We agreed to create a program for drawing a polygon with any number of vertices tomorrow. That, in fact, is a great exercise in programming!

Then, on her request, we click on all of my bookmarks (we used my computer this time) and I explained what they do. Google Maps was especially interesting. We discussed continents, countries, borders and such. Now she knows that Richard is in fact from Africa, because Cameroon is a part of it. I guess she's starting to grasp the notions of country and continent.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say that I find this blog absolutely adorable and reading it brightens my day to no end. I hope your lessons go really well and that she never loses the desire to learn.
    Reading this has certainly inspired me to try something similar if and when I have children of my own.

    Keep writing this blog dangnabbit :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! We'll keep on learning. Right now, I'm going to check out Elm to see if it might allow us to make games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TeachMeWell - Online Math Help - education for children Aged 5 to 10 (Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, Grade 5) - Math lessons click here math help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog very informative. Being a school teacher these blogs really help me out
    Research Writing

    ReplyDelete